Frequently Asked Questions

This section contains a wealth of information, related to Public Service Commission Zimbabwe. If you cannot find an answer to your question, make sure to contact us.

Salary Documents

  • Completed and signed Appointment form
  • Contract document
  • Copy of Treasury concurrence
  • Completed Assumption of duty form/ minute (original)
  • Civil Service Commission Referral letter (original)
  • Police Clearance forms (original)
  • Method of pay advice form (original)
  • Completed medical examination report (original) on one sheet
  • Birth certificate (certified copy)
  • National I.D. card (certified copy)
  • Relevant qualifications (certified copies)
  • Marriage certificate (certified copy where applicable)
  • For junior grades (A and B), a National Employment Services
  • Department Card should be attached

Job Advertisements

  • Civil Service Commission vacancy announcements
  • Ministry internal vacancy notices where applicable
  • National press
  • Member of Commission Secretariat
  • Human Resources Director / Deputy Director HR or delegated authority
  • Two other confirmed members whose grades are higher than the post being considered.
  • Minuting secretary from the Human Resources department
  • People with a criminal record
  • People with an adverse medical report
  • People below the age of 18

Job Transfers

  • Member applies to ministry/department of choice.
  • Ministry/department assesses member’s suitability.
  • Ministry/Department advises applicant on their interest
  • The receiving Ministry writes to the member’s Head of Ministry for concurrence.
  • If the member’s Head of Ministry concurs to the transfer, he/she approaches the Public Service Commission for approval.
  • PSC approves transfer in writing and copies the relevant ministries
  • Own ministries releases applicant to receiving ministry
  • Applicant assumes duty at receiving ministry
  • PSC is copied the applicant’s assumption of duty to facilitate appointment process

A member cannot be transferred if he/she:

  • Has pending disciplinary case
  • Is on probation
  • Is on manpower development


  • A member cannot jump grades unless approved by the Public Service Commission.
  • A member cannot be promoted while on Manpower Development Leave for three or more months.
  • A member cannot be promoted while on probation, secondment or while he or she has pending disciplinary case.
  • A member cannot be promoted without the relevant qualifications and experience.
  • A member cannot be promoted if he or she does not have knowledge about the task to be performed and ability to perform it.
  • Promotion is based on merit. There is no discrimination on grounds of race, tribe, and place of origin, political opinions, colour, creed, gender or physical disability.
  • For every promotional post one third of the candidates should be women in line with the Public Service Gender Policy which aims at promoting equal opportunities for women and men.
  • A member should have a positive performance rating.
  • Selection is undertaken by the appropriate Staff Advisory committee in the case of promotional posts delegated by the Commission to Heads of Ministry.

Probation Period

  • A probationary period of not less than one year shall be served by:
    1. All new appointees engaged on pensionable conditions of service or
    2. those promoted
  • Failure to perform to expectations during the probation period will result in
    1. discharge or
    2. probationary period being extended by not more than six months,
  • Failure to improve performance amounts to dismissal.

Funeral Assistance

When a Civil Servant dies, the Public Service Commission pays out money to assist with the member’s burial.

Currently, members of the Civil Service who pass away are entitled to funeral assistance of US$700.00 The Civil Service Commission reviews upwards, the amount paid out as Funeral assistance from time to time.

  • Surviving spouse
  • Eldest child
  • A close relative
  • Copy of completed Funeral assistance Application Form (obtained from
  • Ministry where member used to work);
  • Burial Order/Death Certificate.
  • Recent copy of payslip of the deceased member.
  • National Identity Card of claimant
  • Marriage certificate or affidavit of claimant
  • Birth Certificate if beneficiary is under 16 years.
  • Claimants should go to the district offices of the Ministry or Department where the deceased was employed to fill in necessary forms and provide requisite documents.
  • Once the forms are filled, claimants should immediately go to the Civil Service Commission’s district offices where they will be assisted to access the funeral assistance money.

Manpower Development Leave

Manpower development leave, also referred to as “Study Leave” means time off granted to a member to engage in study or training for purposes of enhancing the efficiency, effectiveness and motivation of such a member.

The Public Service Commission grants MDL in respect of –

  • Courses at the doctorate level,
  • Courses at Masters degree level undertaken outside Zimbabwe;
  • Courses of study or training of more than three months’ duration undertaken outside Zimbabwe.

The salary and allowances of a member on Manpower Development Leave shall be paid:

  • in full, if the leave does not exceed three months,
  • at three-quarters of the full rate from the commencement of the leave, if the leave exceeds three months but not twelve months, the employee shall be paid at half the full rate from the commencement of the leave if the leave exceeds twelve months

Any member who goes on manpower development leave, whether continuously or on a part-time basis, for a period:

  • of three months or less, shall not be bonded unless the Commission considers this essential in the circumstances,
  • exceeding three months but not exceeding one year, shall be bonded for one year, and
  • exceeding one year shall be bonded for period equal to the period of manpower development leave.
  • A member may not accrue vacation leave during any period of manpower development leave.
  • A member on manpower development leave for a period in excess of three months shall not be considered for promotion during the period of such leave.
  • A member who applies unsuccessfully to a head of Ministry for manpower development leave..……may appeal against the decision of the Head of Ministry to the Commission.
  • A member on manpower development leave only receives one allowance, that is Housing Allowance.


The Public Service Commission has come up with a way to assist its members to access drugs conveniently. In conjunction with PSMAS and the National Aids Council (NAC), the Commission has come up with the drugs at your doorstep programme.